Sunday, August 1, 2010

my sunday six

I haven't posted a single little blip about this week. I initially avoided it because I didn't feel there were any exceptional moments. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that that's the worst approach to take to our little e-journal. Our lives aren't defined by events—by the trips we take, the dates we go on, the vacations we plan. They're defined by how we feel, what we think, and what we take from those experiences. It's our reaction to the terrific and trivial...the momentous and the mundane. So, with that said, here's six reasons why I loved this week.
1. the giggles
Parker makes me laugh...so much! It's one of the things I love most about him. Our humor is so silly and a bit immature at times, but it makes me smile and is a constant reminder that we are absolutely those two little bugs in a rug. On Friday his personal touch to the soccer-mom stop, frozen yogurt reveling, and little minion language sent me into a little giggle fit. I loved every minute.
2. family
I've said it a million times before, but I feel so lucky to have family who also happen to be our best friends. Parker's family has made our summer so much fun, and it's so neat to me to see that, no matter what our stage in life, we can still be the best of friends. I'm not sure how we would've survived the summer without them! Parker and I are ecstatic to see my family in California just two weeks too. I'm not sure I could call D-land the happiest place on earth were it not for the fact that we'll all be there together. I can't wait!
3. friends
This week I had the chance to see a friend off at the airport as he left to finish his mission in Croatia. He'd been flown home this past April due to a knee injury. I know his family worried he might not have the chance to finish, but the miracle of modern medicine made it possible. After surgery and a 3-month recovery he was ready to finish what he'd started. Our best group of friends gathered together to say a last goodbye, but it really didn't seem like goodbye at all. We laughed our little heads off, teased like crazy, and mused about the future. It seemed just like old times and reminded me that sometimes, friends can be forever too. I know no matter where life takes us, we'll always be the best of friends. I'm so grateful for that and for how blessed I am to have grown up with a such a great group. now if only I could hook them all up so we'd have some married friends...JJJ it'll come.

4. movies
Parker will laugh when he sees this because this week was our movie MARATHON week. seriously. I think we watched a movie almost every night. Apparently we need another hobby. Before I get to that though, I have to clarify. Today I'm not just grateful for movies. We saw our fair share of let-downs I assure you. So no. Today I am grateful for movies that make you think and movies with a moral to the story (which also make you think...in a reflective sort of way).
Earlier this week we went to the drive-in to see Inception, which has been described by nearly everyone who's seen it as AMAZING. I'm not sure I'd assign it such a strong adjective, but I think the reason it stuck out is because it's one of the best movies that's come out in a long time. No predictable plot line. No stock characters. No mindless, tasteless, senseless dialogue or humor. Just an original idea that required rapt attention and made us use our brains. I love the fact that it still had us talking even after the movie ended. If you haven't already, go see it! It's berry good.
And morals...though Dinner for Schmucks wasn't the world's most moral movie, I think it did have good intentions. It reminded me that oftentimes it's the people we write off who are the most deserving of our attention. We try so hard to impress people who are ready and willing to trade us for the next best thing when really our lives would be so much happier if we reached out to someone who needed, valued, and deserved our attention. I'm not sure if any of that makes sense. Basically, we mistreat those who deserve to be treated the best and make a great effort to draw the attention of those who are innately selfish, superficial, and shallow just because they seem a bit "cooler." Think of teenagers and their parents...or the fair-weather friends we've both had and been. Anyway...just something to think about.
5. cuddling
I didn't realize how much I needed to be close to someone until our houseboat trip in June. That entire week I felt this kind of craving for closeness...someone to rest my head on while the movie played, someone to cuddle up to in the back of the boat to keep warm, someone to hold me at night until I fell asleep. I've gone 20 years without this constant attention but now I really can't live without it. I love having Parker around to hold me, to take care of me, to keep me warm when I'm frozen even though he's burning up. It's the neatest thing to have someone love you that way...and it means so much more because I know he really does love me.

The other night I came home from work feeling a bit under the weather. Parker put down his book, took me in his arms, demanded that I take care of myself and take a nap, and then held me until I fell asleep. No matter how much I despise naps, I loved this one. Really loved it. All because of a cute boy and a cuddle J That's the best medicine...let me tell ya!
6. YW
I am really loving being in Young Women's. I feel like it's strengthened my testimony of inspired calls so much. I really think the Lord knew how much I needed this...knew how much I'd learn as I get to know these girls. I love teaching and the more time I spend doing it the more I become aware of how blessed I've been in my life because of the knowledge of the Gospel. It's strengthened my testimony of the blessings that come when you serve and the love you feel for the recipients of that service. I love my girls! I want the best for them because they've given me the best perspective on life I've had in quite awhile. I feel like I'm understanding more and more what really matters in life and I want, more than anything, for them to realize it too. Perhaps this week's girls camp will be the perfect place to do it. oh boy. i can't wait!

I could go on and on and on, but I'm capping it at six today. I'm a lucky, lucky girl and I hope I never forget it! Happy Sunday to me!

1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to go see Inception except I am afraid now of how much hype there is about it that I will be disappointed, Oh well I will still try. I never realized what awesome skillz Mike has..that sneaky beeder! :-) and after all those late night nacho runs...I shoulda known!

    ReplyDelete